Texas House of Representatives
Subject: General Appropriations Act (GAA) for FY2024-25, House Bill 1 (HB 1)
- Author: State Rep. Greg Bonnen (R-Friendswood)
- TFR Position: Oppose
- Background: As proposed, HB 1 seeks to appropriate $302.7 billion in all funds for the 2024-25 biennium, which is a 14.3% ($37.8 billion) increase above the 2022-23 appropriations. This includes an increase of 21.5% in state funds appropriations to $202.0 billion. A legislative priority for TFR is the adoption of a “frozen” budget that caps 2024-25 appropriations to that of what was appropriated in the previously adopted biennial budget. In doing so, it would provide for additional revenue (on top of the existing $32.7 billion budget surplus) to provide for tangible property tax relief to Texas taxpayers while putting the state on a path to the elimination of the tax altogether and provides for a more responsible size of government that has for too long expanded beyond that of the population it is supposed to serve.
Subject: Amendments to General Appropriations Act (GAA) for FY2024-25, House Bill 1 (HB 1)
- For a complete list of vote notices related to pre-filed amendments for HB 1 go HERE
Subject: Supplemental Appropriations, Senate Bill 30 (SB 30)
- Author: State Sen. Joan Huffman (R-Houston)/State Rep. Greg Bonnen (R-Friendswood)
- TFR Position: Oppose
- Background: As proposed SB 30 continues the recent legislative tradition of under-budgeting in the previous biennium knowing that in the following budget cycle, they will spend even more on things they purposely left out, while the taxpayer is left holding the bag. Proposed spending in SB 30 reflects a legislature that is more serious about spending an unexpected cash windfall on pet projects than returning that money to the taxpayer. In an economic environment by which Texas taxpayers are reeling from inflation and a higher cost of living, lawmakers are choosing to spend more of their money. For these reasons, TFR opposed SB 30.
Subject: Amendments to Supplemental Appropriations, Senate Bill 30 (SB 30)
- For a complete list of vote notices related to pre-filed amendments for SB 30 go HERE
Reminder: Vote Notices are provided to both Texas state lawmakers and the general public in advance of Texans for Fiscal Responsibility’s position on issues to be rated as part of the Fiscal Responsibility Index prior to votes being taken in each legislative chamber.
Disclaimer: We reserve the right to consider amendments to legislation that may be introduced without notice as a part of issues to be rated as part of the Fiscal Responsibility Index. We will make every effort to provide notice on amendments that are pre-filed.