Texans for Fiscal Responsibility has issued the following vote notice for January 10, 2023
(Day 1 of the 88th Legislative Session):
Texas House of Representatives
Subject: Speaker of the House
- TFR Position:
- Support State Rep. Tony Tinderholt (R-Arlington).
- Oppose State Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont)
- Background: State Rep. Tony Tinderholt is a TFR Taxpayer Champion and has a career Fiscal Responsibility Index rating of an ‘A+’. By comparison, the incumbent, State Rep. Dade Phelan has a career rating of an ‘F’ on the Index.
Subject: Senate Caucus Report, Senate Resolution 1 (SR1)
- Author: State Sen. John Whitmire (D-Houston)
- TFR Position: Oppose
- Background: Violates principles of limited government and fiscal responsibility as it increases compensation for legislative staff in a year where most Texans have struggled to make ends meet while also having to deal with increased tax burdens.
Reminder: Vote Notices are provided to both Texas state lawmakers and the general public in advance of Texans for Fiscal Responsibility’s position on issues to be rated as a part of the Fiscal Responsibility Index prior to votes being taken in each legislative chamber.
Disclaimer: We reserve the right to consider amendments to legislation that may be introduced without notice as a part of issues to be rated as a part of the Fiscal Responsibility Index. We will make every effort to provide notice on amendments that are pre-filed.